UPDATED: Blaze on 15th floor of Scunthorpe tower block - pensioner taken to hospital
A fire on the 15th floor of a block of flats in Scunthorpe at lunch-time today (Thursday Nov 1) resulted in a pensioner being taken to hospital.
It happened within one of the landmark Crosby Flats, off Crosby Road, near the town centre.
Firefighters attended shortly before noon.
A pan of food caught fire in the kitchen and was extinguished by the occupier removing the pot from the cooker.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
The elderly man was assisted from his flat by two fire-fighters wearing breathting apparatus.
He was taken to hospital by ambulance for a precautionary check-up.
The kitchen suffered smoke damage and was ventilated by the Humberside Fire and Rescue Service before personnel left the flat, whose smoke alarm had been activated during the incident.
Crosby House was later confirmed as the block of flats.
Three fire engines attended - two from Scunthorpe and the other from Winterton.
Police were called to consider whether it was necessary to evacuate the building as a precautionary measure.