Brigg travellers to appeal after their site is rejected by planners over flooding and road issues
Travellers say they will appeal against a decision to throw out plans to keep 12 plots at a site in Brigg.
The plots on Mill Lane have been in place for at least four years, but have now been rejected twice by planners although planning officials had recommended that the development should be approved.
But councillors said the site was at risk of flooding and raised concerns about highways issues and the fact that the site was outside the town's development boundary.
The council has yet to confirm whether enforcement action to clear the site will now go ahead.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
But travellers say they are furious about the decision, which was made on the casting vote of chairman Arthur Bunyan after votes were split 5-5.
John Mitchell, a traveller at the site, said: "We are going to appeal the decision. It is absolutely unbelievable how they have come to this decision.
"They even went against the recommendation."
A similar application was turned down in 2008, although the plots have remained on site, which is currently home to 12 static homes as well as 20 touring caravans, since that decision was made because moves to close it down have been repeatedly postponed.
At the time of the original decision, planners said the development was at serious risk of flooding. If permission had been granted, it would have allowed each plot to house up to four caravans.
Planning agent Dr Angus Murdoch told the planning meeting at the Civic Centre in Scunthorpe that the application would have met 54 per cent of North Lincolnshire's further need for gypsy sites.
He also said the application had addressed the issue of flood risk by raising the level of the land at the site.
But several councillors disagreed and raised concerns about the plans.
Councillor Carl Sherwood said: "As far as I am concerned, nothing has changed since the last application.
"I don't think that by raising the ground level by a few millimetres, it will solve the problem of flooding.
"I have lived in Brigg all my life and this area has always been sodden and prone to flooding.
"The site is also outside of the Brigg development boundary."
However, councillor Sandra Bainbridge spoke in favour of the application, saying she was impressed by the site.
"For at least four years, the site has been there and as far as I know there have not been any objections," she said.
Those behind the plans now have a right of appeal to the Government that could overturn the council's decision.
Yet a similar appeal after the initial rejection in 2008 was thrown out.