Man dies after choking on food
A Winterton man died after he choked on a rasher of bacon, an inquest heard.
Harold Burton, 91, was eating breakfast in his room at the Haverholme House Care Home in Broughton on May 23 this year.
The inquest, held at Scunthorpe's Civic Centre, heard Mr Burton was discovered that morning by care assistant Pauline Ashton who found him sat in his chair.
She alerted staff and care assistant Debbie Lutkin phoned an ambulance.
A paramedic tried to resuscitate Mr Burton and discovered a full rasher of bacon in his throat. Mr Burton was pronounced dead.
A post-mortem carried out by Dr Anthony Borg-Grech revealed the cause of death was choking through food inhalation.
A statement from Mr Burton's wife was read.
She said: "Harold enjoyed fishing and gardening and in his younger days he enjoyed playing sports.
"He was a lovely man who would anything he could for others."
Mr Burton worked as a labourer in a local quarry before joining the Navy in 1935.
He later worked on the steelworks in Scunthorpe, before taking early retirement in 1980.
He met his wife in 1940 and they married in 1941.
Mr Burton is survived by his wife and two children.
Coroner Paul Kelly recorded a verdict of accidental death.