Opposition voiced to knocking down of homes in Haxey
DEMOLITION plans have been submitted to flatten a group of sheltered homes for pensioners.
More than 100 people attended a public meeting to speak out against plans to knock down homes in Hallcroft Close in Haxey in September last year.
North Lincolnshire Homes (NLH), the region's social landlord, had concluded the site was no longer fit for purpose.
Now plans submitted to North Lincolnshire planning chiefs say the demolition needs to take place as NLH does not have enough demand for the one-bedroom properties there.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Our heavyweight cards have FREE UV silk coating, FREE next day delivery & VAT included. Choose from 1000's of pre-designed templates or upload your own artwork. Orders dispatched within 24hrs.
Terms: Visit our site for more products: Business Cards, Compliment Slips, Letterheads, Leaflets, Postcards, Posters & much more. All items are free next day delivery. www.myprint-247.co.uk
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
The development has six bungalows and 10 bedsits – only two of which are still occupied.
Work has started to find new homes for the remaining tenants.
Gail Amys, who lives opposite the development, said: "We've had a letter to say they're demolishing the buildings, but we don't know what they're putting in its place.
"To me, it's ludicrous when people are crying out for homes and a lot of those prepared to move in are elderly.
"They could have just modified the bedsits, making them more acceptable."
Talks had taken place between NLH officials and a group interested in the site, but those have now ended without agreement.
Haxey Parish Council objects to the demolition of the bungalows on the grounds that there are no plans available to show what will replace them.
Don Lange, Haxey parish councillor, said: "NLH says it hasn't made its mind up yet on what to do with the land.
"I am more concerned about people who are not well and who might need to move into bungalows."
Pete Stones, director of regeneration at North Lincolnshire Homes, said: "Since the public meeting, we have continued to work with the remaining tenants to find them new homes.
"We have carried out further consultation on the future communal provision for the area and are moving forward with that.
"As explained at the public meeting, this particular part of the project has always been the priority for NLH.
"With regards to the future of the site, as promised at the meeting we have contacted the party who was interested in the site and this has not led to any further developments.
"Currently the notices have been submitted for the demolition of the properties and once the properties are empty and the communal provision provided, then NLH will work in partnership with North Lincolnshire Council to determine the future development of the site."