Reduction in number of turbines proposed at Saxby Wold windfarm near Horkstow
AN INQUIRY into a proposed windfarm has been delayed after the developer behind the scheme revised the number of turbines planned.
RWE npower renewables had planned to build 16 turbines at Saxby Wold, near Horkstow.
But the firm has now reduced that to 10 turbines after permission was granted for a 500-cow dairy unit on neighbouring land.
The windfarm scheme has twice been refused permission by North Lincolnshire Council. This was despite RWE npower bosses arguing it would provide an economic benefit for the region and create new jobs.
NEED A NEW BOILER ?. THEN READ OUR REVIEWS & CALL P & P PLUMBING...View details
IF YOUR LOOKING AT REPLACING YOUR BOILER, THEN CALL, P & P PLUMBING. WE CAN SUPPLY & FIT BOILERS, TO SUIT ALL BUDGETS, & THEY COME WITH 3, 5, 7 & AN AMAZING 10 YEARS PARTS & LABOUR GUARANTEE.
Terms: Ts & Cs apply
Contact: 01472 803004
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
A public inquiry triggered after an appeal was launched by the developer.
That inquiry was due to take place in February but the latest development means it will instead begin in May.
Mike Parker, head of onshore development at RWE npower Renewables, confirmed the change.
He said: "We are naturally disappointed we've had to reduce our planning application from 16 to 10 turbines, following the approval of another planning application near the proposed wind farm site.
"The wind farm could still bring up to £37 million investment into the local economy and we remain committed to delivering as much of the con struction as possible in partnership with local firms.
"We remain hopeful that the project will receive approval for our revised plans when we go to public inquiry in May next year."
Neil Cameron, chairman of Saxby Wold Against Turbines (SWAT), said the reduction in turbines would not change the group's stance.
He said: "They are on top of the Wold and as far as the impact on the landscape is concerned, 10 turbines is almost as bad as 16. There are still 10 400ft high structures proposed to be built on top of the Wold and they are still going to be just as visible as before.
"It won't alter our stance at all."
Mr Cameron said SWAT would have preferred the revised scheme to be treated as a new planning application.
He said: "We would rather see it dealt with properly as a new application but that is a matter for the inspector. Whatever he decides, we will just have to deal with on that basis."
Councillors rejected the windfarm in February, having refused a similar application last year.
The decision was made over concerns about its impact on the landscape, noise issues and the look of the development.