Scunthorpe United confirm there has been no Sheffield United bid for Mark Duffy
SHEFFIELD United have not made a bid for Mark Duffy - despite increasing internet speculation to the contrary.
The Blades are known to be long-time admirers of the Iron winger and did make an enquiry about his availability earlier in the season.
But Scunthorpe United have confirmed to the Scunthorpe Telegraph this morning that there has been no offer.
Sheffield United boss Danny Wilson has been promised cash to strengthen his squad during January and the transfer window for permanent signings closes at 11pm on Thursday.
But it is thought the extent to which the Blades are able to sign new players is dependant on whether they can move on members of their current squad and they are already close to brokering a deal to sign midfielder Barry Robson from Major League Soccer outfit Vancouver Whitecaps.
That is likely to push them close to the salary cap introduced last summer for League One clubs, a rule their owner Kevin McCabe hinted had made recruiting new players 'even more complicated than ever'.
The Blades are close to selling front man Nick Blackman to Reading for a fee reported to be in excess of £1million, but in light of his expected departure, a new striker is likely to be higher up Wilson's list of targets than Duffy.
Although the former Morecambe winger's current contract at Glanford Park expires this summer, United boss Brian Laws has said his side will be taking up the available option to take it into a third year.
Duffy last week admitted, having learned of the Blades' interest, that the situation had played on his mind, but told the Telegraph he would be happy to remain at Scunthorpe, where he is closing in on 100 career appearances.