Scunthorpe stabbing survivor says blood donors saved his life
A SCUNTHORPE teenager who survived a stabbing has spoken about how blood donors helped saved his life.
After our Save a Life campaign smashed the target of getting 100 new donors to sign up, the Scunthorpe Telegraph is now extending the campaign to attract another 100 donors.
Scunthorpe-born Chris Kilmore, 18, lost two litres of blood after he was stabbed centimetres from his heart in a case of mistaken identity.
The attack, which happened last April, left him with a punctured and deflated lung and doctors told his parents it was unlikely he would survive.
30% off on our collection range and other selected fabrics. alternatively call 809887 and we will bring our samples to you for our friendly hassle free quote.
Contact: 01472 809887
Valid until: Saturday, July 13 2013
His attacker, 20-year-old Makebeb Mahachi – formerly of Maple Tree Way, Scunthorpe – has since been handed an indeterminate jail sentence for public protection after admitting wounding Mr Kilmore with intent.
Mr Kilmore needed eight blood transfusions to save his life after losing two litres of blood.
And he said he would not be here today without the help of blood donors.
He said: "Giving blood is very important, because people will die if they can't get it.
"I lost a lot of blood after I was stabbed. Having the blood transfusion was the difference between life and death for me.
"I'd definitely back the Save A Life campaign, because it will actually save lives.
"If no-one gave blood then I wouldn't be speaking to you now.
"I think we need more people to do it, because they had to get some blood for me from Sheffield after they ran out.
"It is important that we have plenty donated locally."
The Telegraph's Save a Life campaign was launched last month, in conjunction with the NHS Blood and Transplant Team (NHSBT).
The campaign was spearheaded by Bottesford teenager Ayshea Singh, who was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer and needed blood donations to battle her condition.
Sue Kilmore, Chris's mother, said she and her husband started donating blood after the incident.
She said: "The blood transfusions saved my son's life.
"I definitely back the campaign to get more donors.
"You don't think you will ever be in that situation, but it really brought it home at the time.
"We started donating after Chris got stabbed.
"It is one of these things that you think about doing for years and years.
"We feel quite positive about doing it.
"Since last year, we have donated three times and we are going to continue donating in the future."
Holly Mason, lead donor relations manager at NHS Blood and Transplant, said: "It is fantastic that the Scunthorpe Telegraph reached their target of recruiting 100 new blood donors early.
"We are thrilled that the paper has decided to continue their campaign and look forward to registering more new donors.
"We especially need young people so would urge 17-24 year olds to find out more and sign up.
"A big thank you also goes to all those who have already registered, giving blood really does save and improve lives."