Train problem between Scunthorpe and Doncaster debated in Parliament
MPs in North Lincolnshire have given their views on work to get a train line running between Doncaster to Scunthorpe being delayed until July.
Government transport minister Simon Burns told MPs it will be July, rather than June, before the rail link re-opens.
Mr Burns confirmed the timescale in parliamentary debate on rail disruption between Doncaster and Cleethorpes, called for by Cleethorpes MP Martin Vickers.
The line is blocked by material which has fallen from the spoil heap at Hatfield Colliery.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Sunday, June 30 2013
Barton MP Martin Vickers called for alternative rail arrangements to be put in place, as well as the replacement bus services between Doncaster and Scunthorpe.
He said: "I met Network Rail and First TransPennine on Friday, and I acknowledge the difficulties that they face.
"The first priority is to get the line clear and to get at least a limited service up and running.
"At a conservative estimate, that will take another 12 to 16 weeks.
"As Network Rail pointed out to me, there are still considerable unknowns.
"I understand that Network Rail needs only three to four weeks to replace the track, but it does not yet have access to the track, because it has to move the spoil heap that caused the slip and ensure that it is safe for the workmen."
Andrew Percy, MP for Brigg and Goole, said his constituents could experience a double whammy, as the Hull, Goole and Doncaster line were also affected.
He raised concerns that closures on the Hull, Selby and Doncaster line in a few weeks could cause further problems and asked for an assurance that they would not be allowed to happen until the works had been completed.
Scunthorpe MP Nic Dakin said he wanted to see this matter resolved as quickly as possible, so that normal, effective, efficient services can be restored to the local community.