Trains serving Scunthorpe still affected by major landslide
Trains in Scunthorpe are still being affected by a major landslide that happened at a colliery near Stainforth.
Buses continue to operate on a railway line which has closed the railway line between Doncaster, Scunthorpe and Goole.
The landslide is believed to have been caused by the movement of a spoil heap at Hatfield colliery on February 12.
A Network Rail spokesman said: "We have been carefully monitoring the track near Hatfield colliery at Stainforth since Saturday afternoon (9 Feb) when a train driver reported a "rough ride".
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
Train services in the area have been carefully managed to protect safety.
"Unfortunately conditions have deteriorated and it is no longer possible to run services through the area.
We anticipate that there will be disruption to services between Doncaster and Goole and Doncaster and Scunthorpe for some time.
"Our engineers are working with the colliery to plan the safe repair of the track bed and railway once the spoil heap has been stabilised.
"We understand it will take several days to complete the stabilisation work.
At this stage it is not possible to say when direct rail services will resume.
"We will publish a timescale for the works as soon as possible and apologise to passengers for the inconvenience caused."
The following changes will apply to Northern Rail services:
• Buses are replacing trains between Doncaster and Goole / Scunthorpe, with journey times extended by up to 60 minutes
• Services between Sheffield and Bridlington / Scarborough are being diverted via Selby, and will not call at Goole
• Services between Doncaster and Scunthorpe are suspended First Trans Pennine Express is running train services between;
• Manchester Airport and Doncaster (as advertised)
• Cleethorpes and Scunthorpe (amended limited service) Buses are running between Doncaster and Scunthorpe. There will be one service per hour in each direction made up of at least three buses
• Buses will leave Scunthorpe for Doncaster at 15mins past the hour
• Buses will leave Doncaster for Scunthorpe at 45mins past the hour