£1,500 prize pot for stars of future in Scunthorpe Telegraph Class Act talent contest
A THIRD major sponsor has signed up to back the Scunthorpe Telegraph's Class Act talent contest as auditions to find future stars continue.
The steel industry's biggest trade union Community has joined Can-Pack UK and United Health as sponsors of this year's competition.
It means the winners of our contest, which starts on April 25 at the town's Redbourn Social Club, will share a total cash prize of £1,500.
Talks are ongoing about further sponsorship.
Business Cards From Only £10.95 Delivered www.myprint-247.co.ukView details
Contact: 01858 468192
Valid until: Friday, May 31 2013
Sean Scorer, the Community spokesman at the Scunthorpe Tata Steel works, said: "This is the first year Community has sponsored Class Act.
"We are very happy to be part of an event showcasing the best local young talent in Scunthorpe and the surrounding area."
Our talent contest for 11 to 19-year-olds was given a further boost this week by Sir John Nelthorpe School in Brigg.
The school is the oldest campus in North Lincolnshire, dating back to 1672.
School spokeswoman Rachel Dixon said auditions were held yesterday (Wednesday, March 6).
At the same time, auditions were going ahead at St Bede's Catholic Voluntary Academy in Scunthorpe, which produced 2011 winner Fiona Lamaudiere.
Sir John Nelthorpe School has competed in Class Act since 2006, when the Stansall brothers, Henry and Rupert, were the chosen performers as The Insex.
The Stansalls did not win, but they have since gone on to greater things and will perform at the SXSW festival in Texas next week.
They have changed their name to the Ruen Brothers and are also scheduled to play at the Glastonbury Festival this summer.
Since 2004, Class Act has produced stars including rock quartet Skarlett Riot, who won the contest in 2007 under the name of Fusion.
Band members were then pupils at Frederick Gough School, Bottesford.
Singer/guitarist Chloe Drinkwater, 22, and her fellow musicians Danny Oglesby, 21, Tom Mansfield, 22, and Luke Oglesby, 17, will release their new album on March 25. Called Tear Me Down, the album features 10 tracks, all written by the band.
Chloe said: "All the tracks were recorded and mixed at the Axis studios in Doncaster and are a collaboration between all four members.
"Skarlett Riot went back on the road last month to promote the album. We are also shooting a new video for Kerrang TV in Manchester. And we are featured in some of the UK's leading rock magazines like Big Cheese, Powerplay and Rocksound.
"So things are looking quite rosy."